Development Centres are used to measure the current capability and future potential of individuals within an organisation. They provide a structured and objective framework in which to identify individuals' current strengths and weaknesses, potential to develop and grow and their adaptability and agility to meet the future needs of the business.
It can be particularly useful to undertake a Development Centre at times of restructuring, growth or for succession planning, identifying Leadership potential and areas for development.
By using a Development Centre approach companies can:
- Gain an objective picture of what you have in terms of talent, potential and ability to meet the changing needs of the business
- Gain a more detailed understanding of individuals' personalities, motivation, career drivers and aspirations
- Identify high performers, with succession planning in mind, and identify development needs where applicable
- Gauge how well the team understands the corporate, organisation and market position
- Provide participants with the opportunity to test and understand their abilities within a safe and positive environment
- Examine Leadership skills and style
Our experience has shown that the most successful Development Centres measure attendees against a strong set of competencies that have direct relevance to the organisation.
For example competencies may involve areas such as:
- Strategic Thinking and Planning
- Delivering Results
- Relationship Management
- Communication & Influencing
The actual competencies measured are always developed in conjunction with the company.
- Successful Development Centres engage the participants early in the process to ensure buy-in and allay any concerns.
- Provides a transparent and consistent evaluation process for all participants
- Working in partnership with the client produces a Development Centre that has high face validity with participants whilst giving them the reassurance of objectivity that a third party intervention brings
- Provides a comprehensive and structured development plan that can lead to improved employee performance